Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a HUGE fan of the show The Kitchen, which airs on The Food Network (new episodes on Saturdays).
Last year around this time, Katie Lee whipped up a dish, which is awesome to take to cookouts, or to make on Sunday and eat all week long.
With the 4th of July right around the corner, I wanted to give you a delicious and healthy option to bring with you to any event.
It’s vegan, adaptable for any occasion, and delicious. Below is my spin on things. Please forgive my unappealing photograph, I’m working on it.
Grilled Veggie Pasta Salad
- 1 Pound Brown Rice Pasta
- 1 Pound Asparagus Spears
- 2 Ears of Corn
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp of Vegan Pesto
- 1 Pint Grape Tomatoes
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Chop veggies (zucchini, asparagus, pepper, and summer squash) into large pieces that can be grilled. (Think 1/2 inch thick and 6 inches wide). Brush each veggie with olive oil, and add salt and pepper. Husk corn and similarly coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill veggies on medium high heat until lightly charred.
- Cook brown rice pasta according to instructions on box.
- In a bowl, combine 2 Tbsp olive oil with pesto, the juice of one whole lemon, and the rind of one whole lemon
- Once vegetables cool, cut the corn off the cob and add to pasta. Chop all other veggies into bite size pieces and add to pasta. Coat with dressing.
- Cut tomatoes in half and add to pasta.
- Add chopped basil, and salt, and pepper to taste.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you can find the original here!
This is a filling side (or main dish). The brown rice pasta keeps you satisfied for a long time without spiking your blood sugar levels, and the vegetables are healthy and delicious. You can always add in whatever veggies or herbs are in season from your local farmer’s market or garden too.